Monday, December 17, 2007

Starting my journey with the Seven Circles

As of tonight I am starting a Seven Circles based program for my chess studies. If you don't know what the seven circles are, read here. It's a system of study for tactics developed by Michael de la Maza. I won't describe what it is in full as the article in the link defines the program perfectly. I feel the Seven Circles just might be an effective way for me to progress as a chess player, especially since I overlooked many tactical maneuvers in my last rated game.

In his article(and later book, "Rapid Chess Improvement"), de la Maza uses a computer program called CT-ART 3.0 for his program of Seven Circles. I will be changing de la Maza's original Seven Circles study program a bit being that I have other things of interest to study in regards to chess. Such things as positional play, openings, pawn play, and of course, the infamous endgame.

In short, I bought the full version of CT-ART 3.0 tonight (it's only $22, not that expensive) and have solved all the problems with Level difficulty 10. Out of 110 problems, I solved 82% of them and the program estimated a rating of 1577 ELO for me. This makes me feel a little better about myself. I'll be keeping you up to date on my progress with CT-ART and the status of the Seven Circles. Cheers!

P.S. I beat four players all rated over 1900 on playchess.com in rapid games (G/15) tonight. I guess tactics study really pays off ;]

No comments: