Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Incredible come back.

Tonight was a pretty amazing come back for me in the world of chess. I have actually been focusing a little more on my tactics lately and have been getting really nice results thus far with Circle 3. It feels good to know that I have support from the guys who say I'm doing it old school with CT-ART(referring to a comment made by Blue Devil Knight). I feel I wouldn't be doing the Seven Circles any justice if I was doing it using a different program with simpler problems. But that's a topic for another post...

So tonight was the usual Coronado Chess Club meeting. Same ol' people, different day ;]. I felt confident tonight and maybe that's why I played so well. My first round opponent was a low 1300 player whom I had a draw with in the first round of my most recent tournament, the UNM Octagon. The game was well played and I used the concept of "Real Chess"(yes, I've been reading the Novice Nook and yes I'm a newb to it) and managed to hold the score the point. My second round opponent is an 1800 USCF player whom I've never been able to even get past the opening with. Again, I sat and played logically and came out of the opening a pawn up and I carried the initiative the entire game. It has been the best game I've played to date and I wish I would have taken notation. One observer said I played like a class A player. Made my night...

All in all, it was a very great night of chess for me! I've decided to put poker on the back burner for awhile and focus on my chess. I have a pretty big tournament next saturday which I'm very excited for. I should also be done with Circle 3 before then so I'll keep you posted on how that goes!

6 comments:

damourax said...

Hey!
I'm very happy to hear these news!

First, congratulations for your games! You've been getting better and better every post!
Second, it's nice to see that you're comebacking to chess!

Hope to get more good news soon!

Good luck on the next tournament!

Laurent S said...

Novice Nook is a very good coach :-)

Congratulations on your fine performance !

Sir Nemo said...

Thanks guys! It feels really nice to have a pretty decent come back with my chess. I'm doing everything I can to prepare for my tournament next weekend. I don't think I have to study too hard though, I'm going to be playing in the U1350 section which really sucks but it will still be some practice.

Chessaholic said...

Good luck in your tournament!

Sir Nemo said...

Thanks Chessaholic. I'm not really doing much to prepare for the tournament. Mostly just doing my tactical exercises for Circle 3, which I should be finished with this Friday; exactly one day before the tourney! Perhaps my highly amazing tactical skills will prevail in this tournament and will get me first place ;] ;]

BlunderProne said...

Best wishes on the tournament. I was glad I was stting when I read you had placed poker on teh back burner... congrats for doing that!